Tuesday, July 19, 2011

thinking about shabazz palaces

I've been wanting to write about this new album from Shabazz Palaces for awhile. I just didn't know what to say.

I feel like it is really the next step in hip hop's evolution, but I still feel like such an outsider when I listen to hip hop that I'm sure there have been steps taken that I was unaware of, that have already been here. But I don't know.

But for me, this is another example of music expanding right in front of me. My perception of what music can be. I have listened to a lot of hip hop but there have only been a few groups that have expanded my perception of hip hop's capabilities (please note that I didn't start paying attention until college or so). Beastie Boys, Jurassic 5, Blackalicious, DJ Shadow, Saul Williams, Guru (with Jazzmatazz), Outkast (with The Love Below), Kanye West (with MBDTF), and now this. (Please don't argue this list. It is just my personal perception that was expanded. For example, I know people were doing what J5 did before them, I just didn't know about it)

So what's special about this? What's new to me? Well, it seems to take its cues from modern cutting edge electronic music (such as Flying Lotus) and free jazz instead of hip hop. It's rhythmic poetry over music, meaning it probably fits most people's standard definition of hip hop, but it's completely different. And I've heard Antipop Consortium, DOOM, Kool Keith, etc but something about this seems different. It's more immediate to my ears.

It's also surprising to me given the dude's background. I didn't listen to Digable Planets much, but the little I heard didn't impress me that much. It honestly bored me a little bit. I'm sure if I gave them another chance I would appreciate them more. I really should knowing such a talent was involved in the crew. But they were so laid back (based on the little I heard) and this is so aggressive.

Will that do? Sure, that'll do. Check it out if you haven't yet.
And here's a daytrotter session if you want to hear some more.

No comments: