Friday, January 25, 2013

Manifesto for a new 'loggin' project

Hi! I know you! You're the reader that reads this piece of the internet known as Quiet Brandon! How's it going?

I'm going to do a new project and this is the little summation of what I expect to happen.

This project will have a name. Such as...

Musichronology 101! or... Journey Through Time via Music! or...any suggestions?

Basically, here's the whole thing. I have a lot of music on my external hard drive. iTunes says it's 36076  mp3s, totalling 221.07 GB or 92 days, 15 hours, 35 minutes, and 53 seconds of music. All different songs. Mostly. Sometimes there's a remastered version and a not-remastered version of the same track here and there. But for the most part, I have lots. I keep acquiring. It keeps growing. But I keep focusing on the NOW, on the "what came out this year? what's the best of this year?"

A few years ago I decided to go through my whole music collection, alphabetically by artist. It was quite the journey. Since them, I have acquired much more music for this thing. So I'm doing a new thing.

The plan is to listen to all of my music--other than classical because that would cause a long section of classical music to start it off and I'm not ready to critically decipher what was happening there--chronologically, and write about my findings here.

I'll divide it into chunks. I'll probably start with "everything pre-1950" and write about that. Then a time period after that. Etc. And then specific years, probably starting in 1964 or so. A post about each year.

I'm not saying I have all the definitive music of this century at my fingertips. Or the past 63 years even. But I have enough that it should be interesting. Maybe we'll learn something about the history of the world or the nation or just of me.

I'll keep listening to new music as it comes out, which will slow this project down, but I can't resist good new music (particularly if it turns out to be as good as this new Yo La Tengo album, which is fantastic). But for the most part, I'll stick to the chronological journey.


Anyone have a good idea for a title of this project?

No comments: