Monday, August 26, 2013

An Ear For An Era: 1974



I'm running out of things to say here. I think I'm missing something. There were a few great albums in here but it mostly seemed pretty insignificant in 1974. Maybe I'm still getting over the highs of 1973 and getting excited about the advent of punk that it's not advancing quickly enough for me. Anyway, this one will be short.

It started with some really great jazz. Billy Cobham's Shabazz, a live album from a 1974 performance (oops! the official release was from 1975! no wonder it seemed so ahead of its time!) in "Europe." This was full of great trombone solos and ridiculously complicated drumming. That's mostly what I remember. I think it'd go over well with some of my friends that don't particularly listen to jazz but would be open minded enough. That whole fusion thing or whatever.

Now I'm going to write about a bunch of artists I've already written about at some point. Because there was so little "new to me" stuff in my collection from 1974. (Looking through rateyourmusic's list, I mostly missed out on King Crimson, Genesis, Brian Eno solo (damnit!), and Leonard Cohen (I thought I had all his significant releases! oops!). Among much other stuff. Remind me not to look at that again, because it reminds me how incomplete this whole exercise is!).

Stevie Wonder will be discussed now. I know Fulfillingness' First Finale is yet another acclaimed release from the golden age of Stevie Wonder, but I wish I hadn't made this promise because I don't know what to say here! It's starting to seem less cheesy as I listen to him more and more. He created quite the grooves in this era; I quite enjoy the Jackson 5 featuring "You Haven't Done Nothin'" and the ballad "Too Shy To Say" is a real showcase of his vocal talents.

But what about that Neil Young? On The Beach is an album I've only listened to once or twice, but I need to spend a lot more time with it. He was at the height of his talent in these days, and I could hang out in the nine-minute "Ambulance Blues" all day long. Is this secretly his best album? I don't know if I'm ready to make any statements like that but it's certainly underappreciated by me. 

The first Tom Waits album I ever bought was The Heart of Saturday Night. This was kind of a random choice (I didn't know where to begin) but it was a pretty appropriate one. It's a great introduction if you need to ease into his more experimental, later work. The coolness that oozes all over this album is undeniable. I think it inspired me to try to come up with a list that have that undefinable "cool" quality and nobody else really had it quite like Tom Waits on The Heart of Saturday Night. It's cooler than a well digger's ass. He'd fit well with the beat poets and whatnot. And because he's Tom Waits, he sang the saddest songs you will hear. And I now present to you: the song to play at my funeral. If it comes down to it and anyone that may read this happens to also help plan my funeral one day, it is my request that this is played.

Tom Waits "Shiver Me Timbers"

Those outlaw country guys were doin' stuff too. Willie Nelson put out Phases and Stages which was pretty good. It's nice that he had the thought to tell the story from both sides of a doomed marriage, and it's just a sad ol' time like good country oughta be. I also have Johnny Cash's Ragged Old Flag on here, for what it's worth. The title track seems like blind patriotism but sounds fairly convincing. If I want to get the people riled up on Memorial Day or something I'd play this I guess. I do still like "What On Earth Will You Do (For Heaven's Sake)" at least as far as the vocals go.

Now we'll move on to the power pop or whatever you'd call it, Big Star's other album Radio City. In my opinion it started out a bit boring but as the album moved along it got more and more interesting, more and more catchy, with the climax being (what I assume was a single) "September Gurls." I think Big Star would have been a good band to listen to in high school. Then listening to it now would be even more nostalgic.

And finally, Roxy Music's famous Country Life. I don't think it quite ranks as high as For Your Pleasure for me, but it's still very very gorgeous. The arrangements are flawless, hitting all the right notes in slow ballads, heavy brooding beats, and catchy pop tunes. I might like Ferry's vocals the most here. Here he is channeling Elvis (?)...

Roxy Music "If It Takes All Night"

Newcomers:

Some of the emerging rock n roll of this era just flew by me in that I only have some singles and not full albums. But there was the first taste of Rush with the song "Working Man." A few Queen songs as well (I have Sheer Heart Attack on vinyl but not digitally if you can believe it). "Killer Queen" and "Stone Cold Crazy" are some quintessential jams.

I guess that's all? 1974 was not a highlight here.

Other stuff worth mentioning:
  • Some more James Brown funk singles from the collection I spoke of last time. Still very repetitive, still don't mind it one bit.
  • Bob Marley's "No Woman No Cry" came on. I wish all of his music hadn't been ruined by frat boys everywhere. Also Eric Clapton's cover of "I Shot the Sheriff."
  • In less-ruined reggae, Toots & The Maytals' cover of "Country Roads" makes me happy.
  • Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" came on. Apparently I don't have Diamond Dogs. I know I have it on vinyl.
  • I had a Frank Zappa epic track "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" come on. I wish I had more of his stuff.
  • Nico covered "The End" by The Doors, and that was my "the end" to Nico.
  • Billy Joel may be Mr. Cheesy, but "The Entertainer" is a pretty good scathing critique of the music business.
  • Jr. Walker kept up the funky goodness with "Dancin' Like They Do On Soul Train." So now you know the world I've been listening to. 1974.
On The Next Installment...
I will have a lot more to discuss. We'll be past the early 70s and music will move forward with purpose thanks to artists like Bruce Springsteen, Blondie, Patti Smith, Emmylou Harris (two albums!), and Queen, while the veterans will still be putting out landmark albums like Blood On The Tracks, Metal Machine Music (is it that time already??), Nighthawks At The Diner, Physical Graffiti, Red Headed Stranger, Wish You Were Here, Young Americans, and Zuma. Looks good to me.

No comments: