Saturday, January 11, 2014

An Ear For An Era: 1982

And...we're back! 1982. The last year before me. The world would forever change (for me) in just one short year. So what kind of music was coming out? Lots of kinds at this point. Some great oddities, some of the biggest pop albums of all time, and some of my favorite albums of all time. It was a big year.

Let's start with the pop because my goodness was this album huge. I don't know if you've heard of Thriller, by young up-and-comer Michael Jackson, but it came out in 1982. I don't think much needs to be said about this. "The Girl is Mine" is pretty cheesy but besides that this album is just so full of gigantic pop anthems it's kind of ridiculous. "Thriller" is followed up immediately by "Beat It" and then "Billie Jean?" But it doesn't feel like it's all stuffed together because there are only 9 tracks and the hits just keep hitting? That's right, person with theoretical questions. That's right.

The king and the Prince. Both put out crazy big pop albums in 1982. Prince's 1999 is significant to me mostly because they played the crap out of that song on NYE 1998 and 1999 I think, both of those New Years Eves. But it's got other big awesome hits like "Little Red Corvette" and Prince's trademark sexiness in songs like "Let's Pretend We're Married."

How do I get from pop to punk? Billy Idol will do fine as a bridge here. His self-titled debut album is pretty hit-and-miss, but the hits are quite good. There's a certain musk to how he presents himself, it brings me back to my dancin' days of the early-to-mid aughts. Those 80s dance nights were a place to listen to "Dancing With Myself" and dance with a few people and show off the debauchery we were capable of, our flexibility, and whatnot. It was a big time for my social life and it was songs like this that made it happen (and people like Enoch; I miss you so much buddy!). As a wallflower, unable to talk to people I didn't already know, this is the music that allowed me to be social because I didn't have to talk.

Is this getting too personal? Too bad, pretty soon this blog is going to be focused on my personal experience with music instead of just a way to carry through the old stuff that happens to also tie me to a certain time/place in my life.

Punk continued to push forward on both coasts. I think I've already discussed how great the early 80s were for punk, but 1982 saw some big debuts and otherwise huge albums. There was The Vandals, whose EP Peace Thru Vandalism showed a band refusing to take itself seriously. Flipper brought all the attitude to punk rock but changed the approach by playing really slow/brooding songs. The Misfits used a lot of whoa-oh-ohs that would go on to be such an integral part of punk rock, and while I wasn't into them so much in high school I feel like if I had gotten this album back then it would have been pretty high in rotation. And then there was Bad Brains, one of the most ferocious punk bands when they played punk. Then one of the most soulful reggae bands to be heard outside of Jamaica when they played reggae. They played up that dichotomy in much more black-and-white terms than others that combined them.

The Clash blurred that line quite a bit with Combat Rock. Actually, they blurred it their whole career. I just figured this would make a good transition. I'm going to miss The Clash popping up here, because this is the last I'll be hearing from them. This is their poppiest album, their most successful financially, and includes such hits as "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" and "Rock The Casbah." Confession time: I never got this album until just a few years ago. I got to the point where I was embarrassed to pick it up because I didn't want people to know I didn't already own it. So I'm not as familiar with it as their other work, but I do like opener "Know Your Rights," and obviously I am a big fan of "Straight to Hell" (to later be sampled on a certain hugely successful M.I.A. song). That song and having a contribution from Allen Ginsberg keeps the cred here even if it sounds like they were starting to pursue that larger audience they were picking up. Still a worthy addition to The Clash's discography, and that's a pretty big compliment you can give an album.

And now we're really getting into the stuff that I have loved for years and years.

The Descendents' debut album (I just realized I missed their "Fat EP" here because I only have it on vinyl! D'oh!) Milo Goes to College might be my favorite punk rock album of all time. Or pop punk if that's the correct term. Back when pop punk wasn't an embarrassing term because all the "pop" meant was catchy. They sang about being kids. They perfectly encapsulated that time for me. I listened to some punk in high school but I wasn't a punk. I was just a "square going nowhere." They weren't afraid of singing about girls and even marriage in a genre that was mostly tough guys and political posturing. I got this album in my stocking one year for Christmas and I listened to it over and over again immediately that morning. Before this, I'd only heard their "new" stuff, Everything Sucks from 1996. This was so much rawer but so engaging...I don't think any initial listening of an album has stuck with me for so long, the experience of hearing these songs for the first time was ingrained into my being and this album will always be such a significant part of me. Every time I hear it, I'm taken back there, to those simpler times. I have to play the opening track because that's the first thing I heard that morning and even though I love all the tracks, this exemplifies the spirit: There's no reason for you to quit just because we try harder!

Descendents "Myage"

The Violent Femmes' self-titled debut is another one that, front to back, has always been a favorite. The lowest rated song on the album for me is "Blister in the Sun," their one big hit. It's okay. But when they really get going, when they express the personal so effectively through the combination of incredibly heartfelt lyrics and catchiness and a circus of sound coming out of a very simple setup (acoustic guitar, bass, a couple drums, maybe a xylophone or violin here and there) that builds and rises (and RISES AND RISES) and falls again, when all of it comes together, it hits you hard. Or me. I can't say what it does to you. I think next time I do karaoke, and if they have something besides "Blister in the Sun," I will have to sing some Violent Femmes. Here I 'd probably play "Confessions" or "Add it Up" to exemplify what I've described if I could, but I can't resist playing the closer. It shuts me down anytime I hear it, that's for sure. The circus isn't here but it's the prettiest ballad with some of my favorite lyrics ever: "laughing at the sunrise like he's been up all night." Everything that that implies, just puts me in a place that has been a long night that you didn't want to end and you're so tired...so simply put together in a few words.

Violent Femmes "Good Feeling"

Speaking of ballads, those are the reason that Imperial Bedroom is my third favorite Elvis Costello (and the Attractions) album. Actually 2nd favorite with the Attractions, because one of the other two is not an Attractions one. Where was I? Oh yeah, ballads. And Imperial Bedroom. The songs are just so personal and sad. With a couple strains of hope strung along throughout. The way "The Long Honeymoon" tells the tale of a wife freaking out about her husband being out late, the burdensome side of a line like "she never thought her love could ever be as strong as this" (on a bed of the most lovely piano playing by Steve Nieve) transitions into some brutal power chords and screaming that just jolts you into the song "Man Out of Time" that didn't really need that jolt, it's just a way to keep you on your toes (the song itself is again piano based, pretty light, just bookended by these power chords), taking you back down to "Almost Blue," another gorgeous soft ballad...it's a roller coaster but it's consistent. It goes like this for the full album. Lots of songs from women's perspectives, music that goes up and down (mostly down). It's a great showcase of Elvis' lyrics and Steve's virtuoso piano playing. (The Audrey Hepburn montage is just bonus).

Elvis Costello & The Attractions "Almost Blue"

Another rock artist that put out a ballady collection was Bruce Springsteen. I can't claim a huge personal connection to this, but do you know how often Nebraska comes up when interviewing bands about their influences? Half of indie rock was influenced by this album! This is the side of Bruce that justifies all the hoopla he gets for his rock songs. It's the heart. It's just not disguised by synths and distorted guitars and stadiums. Stories of real people's real lives. Stripped down Bruce is the way to go.

Hip hop (that which I have in my collection at least) continued to be something of a novelty, as exemplified by this track from that Third Unheard comp I've discussed in the past. Willie Brown & Woodie recorded a track called "Ventriloquist Rap," because Woodie is a puppet. Of course. Dang it, I can't find it on youtube. Ask me to play it for you sometime because it's something else. Afrika Bambaataa had some great jams with Soulsonic Force. "Looking For The Perfect Beat" is good enough that it's the title to the collection of singles that I have. But "Don't Stop...Planet Rock" is just the song I have to put here. I just have to. It's officially a party here for the next 6 1/2 minutes.

Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force "Don't Stop...Planet Rock"

Now for the weirder stuff.

I don't remember how I first discovered Carmel, a jazzy soul band with one of the most unique and beautiful voices I've heard. I do know that it's hard to find anything by them anywhere, so any song I can pick up I will. I have a cover of "Tracks of My Tears" which is a great way to experience the voice in a somewhat familiar context (it's jazzy but it's the Smokey Robinson song) but just as a showcase of what I'm talking about here's the other song I have of theirs from 1982.

Carmel "Storm"

My dad introduced me to art rock. It was my dad. I've talked about how he got me into Nilsson and Kristofferson, but that wasn't enough. He introduced me to really really weird music. Music that is now on display at MoMA. I saw the video there as an art installation! Us kids really liked it when Dad put on this tape. Of weird talking and wolf howling. Have you guessed yet? Laurie Anderson! Big Science! It made us laugh at times, it was terrifying at others (and sometimes the same time), and we couldn't get enough. "I no longer love the way you hold your pen...and pen...cil." "We are all going down...put your head in your hands, put your hands on your hips, haha..." I bet this makes no sense to you if you haven't heard this album. You should listen to it. I can't really do it justice. Here's a taste, but really, hear the whole thing. Preferably in a small truck with your siblings and your dad.

Laurie Anderson "Sweaters"

And of course if I played Laurie Anderson now I have to talk about her husband Lou Reed. You may have heard of him. When he passed away last year I wasn't sure if I should try to write about him on this blog. But I didn't think I had the perspective needed to do anything of importance; other tributes were written beautifully so I didn't have anything to contribute. So I just put a few words on Facebook, knowing I'd soon get to some more Lou Reed on this here project.  The Blue Mask is a very good Reed album. It was just weird trying to listen to it subjectively because it's the first time he's come up in this since then. The weirdest thing about this was that the last couple tracks on here are pretty death-obsessed. "The Day John Kennedy Died" and "Heavenly Arms." I remember looking for a fitting song to play after his death and couldn't find a suitable one from Berlin. But this will be a good way to say goodbye (not really goodbye though, I have some more stuff because he did a lot between 1982 and 2013).

Lou Reed, "Heavenly Arms"

Other things to say things about/Other things about which to say things:

  • How about other random pop songs that everybody knows and loves? Maneater by Hall & Oates? And "Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye?
  • Or what about the quintessential 80s/new wave/whatever jams that, yes, everybody knows and loves? "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners, "Rio" by Duran Duran, and "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby. Is that enough of that?
  • Speaking of Duran Duran, I also have the song "The Chauffer" thanks to the Greenberg soundtrack, and it is really something!
  • Daniel Johnston put out some more greatness; I quite enjoy the song "Story of an Artist."
  • Right now Sonic Youth will be in this miscellaneous category. The fact that they are part of the lexicon now changes everything, but I'll be writing about them a lot in the future. Their self-titled debut shows hints of what's to come but they weren't quite there yet. I like it but don't love it. It takes a bit more than an EP to change music forever.
  • Queen fully embraced the 80s with Hot Space, a very poppy album from a band previously known for its emphasis on rock & roll and guitar solos. Lots of dance tunes here, including the always beloved "Under Pressure" featuring David Bowie. They do dance/pop well, it turns out.
  • I'm not a big metalhead, but Iron Maiden's The Number of The Beast is very great. The title track is my go-to if I ever find myself in an air guitar solo competition. Love that solo.
  • I didn't have a ton of two tone era ska from 1982 other than a Bad Manners album Forging Ahead (such an 80s sounding ska album!) and some Madness tracks including their big hit "Our House." It's good stuff.
  • Remember that old Volkswagen commercial and that "Da Da Da" song? It's by a German band called Trio and that song came out in 1982. When the commercial was big my buddy really wanted the album that song came off of, and I ended up finding an import after much searching. There was a German version and an English version and the English version sounded goofy because I don't think they knew English that well. Anyway, it's the German version I have in my collection now.
  • Always turn it up for a couple more Minor Threat songs. "12XU" is a cover but it's still one of my favorites.
Next Time...
The year that bore me! I'll totally remember picking up all these albums at the record store on release day from here on out because that's how with it I am. Ever since birth. Or not. But here's what's in store (alphabetical order). Billy Joel at his cheesy best, a full Daniel Johnston album, Bowie says Let's Dance! Duran Duran, Elvis Costello as usual, a Minor Threat album, Minutemen, New Order, Pulp (already??), R.E.M. (seriously??), Talking Heads Speak in Tongues, They Might Be Giants have some Early Stuff To Share Already, Tom Waits' crazy circus finally comes around in full with the brilliant Swordfishtrombones, and We Are Now Officially In The Era Of "Weird Al" Yankovic So Watch Out!

No comments: