Sunday, February 24, 2013

pre-Oscar hopes & predictions 2013

Greetings!

Now that I've seen everything except the following, I have stuff to say before the Oscars start tonight. Interesting!

Disclaimer: I did not see the following:

  • The Impossible (was not interested in a story about "oh wow, I didn't realize the tsunamis also affected wealthy vacationing Americans!")
  • The Sessions
  • All the non-Wreck-It Ralph animated features.
  • Mirror Mirror & Snow White and the Huntsman (because...why on earth would I care?)
  • The Gatekeepers (the only documentary feature that was not available in nearby theaters/netflix)
  • All the documentary shorts (if I had about one more day I would have gone to see them)
  • All the foreign films besides Amour (I wish I'd had the chance!)
  • Hitchcock
  • Chasing Ice
So I cannot say anything about those movies.


Best Picture
None of the 10 features didn't really seem like a "best picture" to me. Maybe if The Master were nominated...Anyway, my official hope is Beasts of the Southern Wild (mostly because I want to see that tiny indie film beat out all those big budget ones) with a second place hope of Amour. My official guess is Lincoln because the Academy loves stuff like that.

Lead Actor
Kind of a lock for Daniel Day-Lewis. He does deserve it. He's both my hope and prediction?

Lead Actress
I would be so happy if French New Wave icon Emmanuel Riva were to win. And her performance was pretty incredible. I equate it kind of to Ellen Barkin from Requiem For A Dream, being a dynamite performance from an older woman that will likely go unrecognized. Prediction is Jessica Chastain, who was also quite good.

Supporting Actor
De Niro because he was amazing in Silver Linings Playbook. Both.

Supporting Actress
Anne Hathaway absolutely deserves it. I'd be surprised if anyone else won. Maybe Sally Field...

Animated Feature
I didn't even see Tim Burton's movie! But it'd be neat if it won, assuming it's good?

Cinematography
Of course I'm pulling for Roger Deakins, the Susan Lucci of cinematographers. It'll probably be the Django dude or the Life of Pi dude.

Production Design
Anna Karenina was actually really cool in its style, partially like a play. Kind of like a musical that's not a musical. So I'll hope for that, expecting Life of Pi to win.

Costume Design
I don't care too much but I guess Anna Karenina again for both?

Directing
Would love to see Michael Haneke win. But Spielberg seems likely.

Documentary Feature
I was ready to pull for Searching For Sugar Man but then I saw 5 Broken Cameras. Which was just astonishing. It'd make me so happy if that one won. But prediction will probably be Sugar Man.

Editing
The pacing of Silver Linings Playbook was really cool, the editing was rhythmic. I doubt that will be recognized, as voters probably prefer the suspenseful editing of Argo. Which would be ok too.

Make-Up & Hair
Eh? Hobbit I guess?

Music Score
I don't usually pay attention to scores. And when I do find myself loving them, half the time they're just pre-existing classical compositions. Or Johnny Greenwood, who wasn't even nominated (again!). So...hope Skyfall guess Argo? ??

Original Song
Adele!

Animated Short
I really loved Head Over Heels. Kind of guessing Paperman though.

Live Action Short
They were all very good. I am hoping for Death of a Shadow but think it'll probably be Asad. Which is my second hope anyway.

Sound Editing/Mixing
What is the difference really??? Anyway, gonna "hope" for Django & Les Mis, predicting Argo for both. But it's all pretty whatever, whatever?

Visual Effects
I think Life of Pi deserves this one. If nothing else, the film looked really cool.

Writing adapted
Go Beasts! Expecting Argo.

Writing original
Go Wes Anderson! Expecting Zero Dark Thirty though.


I guess that's it. Sorry for the boring post. I'll post again afterward to let you know how happy/angry I am.

No comments: