Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Fugitive Days

What a great, inspiring book.

I mean it.

I don't think I'll make it through all of the books in one year but the point is that I'll just keep reading them as long as it takes. Next up was Fugitive Days: Memoirs of an Anti-War Activist by one Bill Ayers. The whole reason I had so much interest in this book in the first place was the smear campaign in the 2008 election when ol' Sarah Palin would talk about Obama palling around with terrorists. I' was glad Obama got through that whole load of bullshit and managed to win the election, but I was concerned about Ayers' fate. I figured at least i could be part of any increase in book sales resulting in the publicity of the situation.

After reading this book, I now wish Obama had actually been influenced by Ayers' ideology, that they were actually close and his policies would reflect that. Maybe then we wouldn't be undergoing all this expansion/reinforcement of Bush's Patriot Act and wars. At least the wars are kind of winding down now...

In this book, Ayers repeatedly talks about his motivations, how it felt like even they didn't do enough. Is there anything that could have been done to stop the war? The Weather Underground is considered extremist but even they couldn't do enough. Although hearts-and-minds are theoretically the way to get things changed in this country as it is something resembling a democracy. And then when a president goes to war AGAINST the will of the people, what does that mean for democracy? Well, he managed to win hearts and minds enough to get a second term despite doing something that despicable.

I'm getting off track. What track are we even talking about?

Motivations. Obligations in an unjust world. Are we not obligated to do EVERYTHING WE CAN POSSIBLY DO when we see injustice? Is Occupy Wall Street winning hearts and minds? Are they shaping policy? To "get this country back" it seems like some big things have to be done. First, a constitutional amendment declaring that corporations are not people so elections are no longer run by corporations. Then maybe the real will of the people can come through. Maybe. At least then there is a chance. Which is kind of why I think Colbert is one of the most important figures in the political scene right now. He's doing everything he can with his stature to spread word and expose how ridiculous that Citizens United ruling has made our political system. Am I back on track? Is this just one long rant?

I keep just avoiding the topic I know I have to hit. I'm not doing anything really. I comment every once in awhile about stuff, I vote, I donate to HRC and other causes, but I don't really take action. I don't win hearts and minds to the cause. How are we supposed to affect change when a significant portion of the population repeatedly votes against its own best interest and seem to be in the pocket of corporate America? It seems so obvious but people are not easily swayed to the truth. Occupy is our chance. But people seem to prefer to turn a blind eye or focus on the idiots within the OWS movement rather than the now clear message it is sending.

This is the least focused entry I've ever posted, isn't it? Am I supposed to be talking about the book? Read the book. Try to figure out how it applies to today. Read Bill Ayers' blog. And do something. And get me to do something as well. Whatever can be done.

No comments: