Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Melancholia

The other one that got snubbed.

It's a good time for a movie dealing with the apocalypse. How would you deal with it? If it was actually happening?

One person just knows things. She knows we are alone in this universe, and she knows that it will end. But with such an innate understanding, you also see the bigger picture:

"The Earth is evil. We don't need to grieve for it."

But for the rest of us, it's all just a mass of confusion. Clinging to anyone that will give you answers, we don't know any better. We just want life to continue because we believe it is important. Especially if we are in fact alone. What is this universe without life, anyhow? Sure, it's beautiful but without life beauty does not matter. No one to perceive it as such. So we want to believe that the threat to all life on earth "looks friendly."

I don't know if this movie even should have been up for any Oscars. Maybe best picture, but the individual elements (acting, cinematography, writing, etc) were basically utilitarian. All just pieces of the bigger picture. Nothing individually stood out, yet the film itself has left a lasting impression on me. And I'm glad I caught it in the theater, particularly due to the final shot. I can't imagine it having nearly as great an effect watching on a TV with my version of surround sound.

So if it's still in theaters near you, definitely check it out. The first act is very uncomfortable, I should warn you, but it's part of what creates this lasting effect. I felt this movie for days after leaving the theater.

No comments: