Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Shame

Tonight I decided to go see Steve McQueen's new film Shame. I think I will make this quick as I need to get back to reading...

Fearless direction. Love the how willing the camera is to linger on awkward situations, unblinking, lots of long takes of close up shots.

The acting was wonderful. Duh. I'd be behind Fassbender and/or Mulligan this year at the Oscars.

Speaking of Carey Mulligan, here she is singing some more. She did a fine job on that Belle & Sebastian song ("Write About Love") and an even better job here. Well, the context was different. Watch out, Zooey Deschanel, Carey Mulligan's got chops! There was one line in the song where I thought it was exposing the character as an inferior singer, I thought "oh she missed a note there" but then she just brought it home in a minor key. Nice.

It was weird that his character was named Brandon and people said his name a lot in this movie. Particularly in Sissy's phone messages.

Lots of sex/nudity but for me the most uncomfortable moments in the film didn't involve these aspects. It was the lingering.

Highly recommended if you think you can handle it.

No comments: