Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Number One Shows of 2022

Hello There!

Ye Olde Musick Recappe is coming soon, but I wanted to do a quick post about all the great concerts I went to this year, because after a two year drought, I managed to get out to a few great concerts and they were all the best experiences.

I also would like to just thank all of these artists for going out on the road in the first place. It's becoming less and less economically viable to tour in general and always risky with all the disease going around. All that to bring us these great experiences that cannot be replicated. Live music. It's the stuff.


The Best Concerts of 2022 in Denver That I Saw

1. Tears for Fears and Garbage at Levitt Pavilion (5/29/22)

Why It Was #1: This was the first concert I went to since COVID and the first concert I brought Spencer to. I'd bought tickets for the whole family way beforehand and then it seemed like I was going to have to go alone, as the family was not particularly interested. Finally convinced him to go, and he loved it. It rained lightly which was perfect for Garbage, who is only happy when it rains. And Tears For Fears played all the old hits, which are some of the greatest songs ever, and their new album The Tipping Point is so good that I was almost equally excited to hear the new ones as the classics.
For Fans Of: Legacy acts with way more hits than you may realize, adorable dancing children, wanting to rule the world (i.e. Everybody)

1. "Weird Al" Yankovic & Emo Philips at Ellie Caulkins Opera House (6/4/22)

Why It Was #1: Because I got to bring my dad to see Weird Al, and introduce him to the comedy stylings of Emo Philips, who is right up his alley. Because I missed the original Ridiculously Self-Indulgent Ill-Advised Vanity Tour pre-COVID. It's definitely a different experience than the usual craziness with all the costume changes and video effects. I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did during "Albuquerque" when he went on to list as many berries as he could think of. 
For Fans Of: Marionberry donuts, starting over a long song when it's just about over

1. Calexico & DeVotchKa at Levitt Pavilion (6/11/22)

Why It Was #1: It was free and DeVotchKa was added later on, which was an incredible bonus. Brought Spencer to this one as well, and met up with Mark which was fun. Spent most of the show running up and rolling down the hill. 
For Fans Of: Little Miss Sunshine, trumpet solos, getting worn out and dizzy because you're almost 40

1. Esther Rose w/Dean Johnson at Lost Lake (7/13/22)


Why It Was #1:
Esther Rose is one of my favorite recent discoveries, so it was lovely to go out and see one of my "pandemic discoveries" out in the real world. It was also my first "normal" show at a small indoor venue (I was one of very few people in masks, which almost brings the experience as a whole down to #1.2). She played most of my favorite songs from her last couple albums. 
For Fans Of: Crying, bad moods

1. The Wild Hearts Tour w/Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen, and Julien Baker at Mission Ballroom (8/7/22)


Why It Was #1:
Got to hang out with Amy! First time at Mission Ballroom! And uh...look at this lineup. Three artists that distinctly have that ability to smash my heart into a million pieces. In their own distinct ways. The sequencing was perfect for me, as the emotions got stronger and stronger with every passing song across these three performers. Seriously, front-to-back maybe the best lineup I've witnessed. Everyone at the peak of their powers. I still don't know Julien Baker that well but she was brilliant. Angel Olsen put out one of my top albums of the year, and nailed those new songs. And Sharon Van Etten played all my favorite songs, and made some more of her songs into more of my favorite songs. And by the end when we were getting epic jams like "Seventeen" and "Like I Used To" my whole being was absorbed into the music. Invigorating like nothing else.
For Fans Of: Ugly crying in public, ugly dancing with friends in front of a bunch of strangers, opening your heart like you used to

1. Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe w/Los Straightjackets at Levitt Pavilion (8/23/22)


Why It Was #1:
Because Elvis is always #1 to me! I hadn't had a chance to catch Nick Lowe before, and it was great to see these two masters especially when they played "Peace Love & Understanding" and "Indoor Fireworks" together. We got reserved seats really close to the front and even though I've seen Elvis Costello so many times it felt extra special with the Nick Lowe Injection.
For Fans Of: Indoor Fireworks, when the smoke gets in your eyes, searching for light in the darkness, Los Straightjackets

1. Rebirth Brass Band at Levitt Pavilion (9/8/22)


Why It Was #1:
This was a sort of spontaneous decision. I'd seen Rebirth was going to be playing this free show but didn't seem like it would work out. But then it was a Daddy-Spencer evening after I went to back-to-school night so I asked if he wanted to go and we went. Because at this point he's super into concerts at the Levitt. Even if that mostly means rolling around on the grass while music plays. But I am a fan of Rebirth and it was great to hear their funk stylings. Just more great to see the smile on my son's face while we danced around.
For Fans Of: The spontaneity of New Orleans (i.e. the decision to go there reminded me of all the unplanned adventures I've had in New Orleans)

1. Soul Glo at the Marquis (10/7/22)


Why It Was #1:
Soul Glo put out the most intense album of the year in my ears, and they 100% translated it into the hardcore show of the year in my mind. I was joined by Eric and was pit-adjacent and it just made me feel so alive. It was a wild show man.
For Fans Of: Feeling alive?

1. Otoboke Beaver at Globe Hall (10/11/22)


Why It Was #1:
If you have heard a note of Otoboke Beaver I think you'll understand why this show was special. They shred. Crazy technical chaotic hardcore combined with perfect choreography. They go hard and they go shopping.
For Fans Of: Shopping, sudden left turns

1. Captured! By Robots at the Hi-Dive (10/29/22)


Why It Was #1: Imagine telling 17-year-old me that I'll eventually get to see this robot band when I'm 39. I think at 17 I would've assumed I wouldn't care about it much at 39. But anyway, this is a band I heard so much about in high school but never was able to see them perform. I think most of their shows were 21+, probably at 15th Street Tavern or something. I assumed they were defunct until Eric casually mentioned the show that night. So I made it happen. And damn was that something. Actual robots playing actual drums and guitar and it's metal in multiple ways. And respect to Jay Vance for having an aesthetic that allowed him to wear a mask while performing. Also, Axeslasher played and that was a great discovery for me.
For Fans Of: Mummies, skeletons, insult-hurling robots, actual robots playing actual music like holy crap

1. The Smile at Mission Ballroom (12/11/22)

Why It Was #1: I've never had a chance to catch Radiohead in concert. At this rate I kind of doubt I'll ever have a chance to catch Radiohead in concert. But at this point, that would be a nostalgia concert. The Smile is more than a side project, it really seems like it's the current major creative outlet for Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood. Tom Skinner really works well with those dudes. So this was special. More than just "oh I get to see a couple of the guys from Radiohead." Though that was an aspect of it, watching Jonny just go hog wild on a guitar while Thom does his Thom dance, I know that part of why these guys are special is their more famous old band. But at this point, in 2022, the main thing separating this show and seeing a Radiohead show is seeing the old hits. I would've loved to hear the old hits, but I'm kind of in a weird situation with these guys where even though I've bought and listened to all their albums, nothing in the past 20 years has really stuck on me like the really old hits (Even In Rainbows for some reason). So maybe this was better than seeing Radiohead? Am I disproving my point by repeatedly just making these comparisons though? Anyway. Tom Skinner seems to reinvigorate something in these guys where they are making some super exciting music that I love. They are all operating at such a high level and all three are masters of the craft.
For Fans Of: Radiohead

No comments: