Monday, February 11, 2008

tuesday tomorrow

we are coming upon the day on which the entertainment world throws upon us a new batch of entertainment.  that's right, it's...

TUESDAY TOMORROW!

wowza.

ok, for 2/12:
MUSIC
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music? - yes, yes I do.
Michael Jackson - Thriller (25th anniversary edition) - this may or may not be the preferred way to pick up Thriller if you don't already have it.  I guess it depends on how much you're into will.i.am & co.  Seems a little silly.  I thought it would have like, a whole bonus disc of people dueting with MJ recordings, but it's mostly just will.i.am with a couple surprise guests on it.  Based on how lame will's thing at the Grammys was last night, I'm leaning away from this one.
The Puppini Sisters - The Rise & Fall of Ruby Woo - They seem pretty gimmicky, capitalizing on all the interest in vocal jazz trios brought on by the Triplets of Belleville.  But who knows.  I honestly haven't listened to them, but I'm curious about them.
The Smashing Pumpkins - American Gothic - this is an EP.  lord.  the tags on amazon include "boring guitar bands."  classic.
Robert Pollard - Superman Was a Rocker - that Robert Pollard guy sure likes to put out albums, doesn't he?  A review says it's a return to GBV form, so maybe this is a step up.
V/A - The Complete Motown Singles vol. 9: 1969 - when will someone take the hint and buy me some of these collections?  I WANT THEM ALL.  
Cinnamon Girl: Women Artists Cover Neil Young For Charity - The title just about covers it, I think.  Well, I guess it raises a few questions. 1: Which women artists? They are mostly unknown, but they include Kate York, Jill Sobule, Veruca Salt, The Watson Twins, and more. 2: Which Neil Young songs? It's the good ones.  Stretching across 2 CDs, some of the songs on the album are Heart of Gold, Old Man, Like A Hurricane, Tell Me Why, I Believe In You, Ohio, and of course Cinnamon Girl. 3: What charity? Casting For Recovery, which offers support and education for women who have or have had breast cancer.  So there you have it.  Probably the most worthwhile release of the week.
V/A - B.I.P.P.P.: French Synth-Wave 1979-1985 - I remember noting this when I first read about it on Pitchfork.  Seems like an essential lesson in music history.


DVDs:
Stones Throw 102: In Living The True Gods - if you're still into music videos, this is a good compilation, with videos by Madvillain, Quasimoto, J Dilla, and many more from the wonderful roster at Stones Throw.
Eclipse Series 8: Lubitsch Musicals - includes The Love Parade, The Smiling Lieutenant, One Hour With You, and Monte Carlo.  ESSENTIAL if you love musicals ;)
Stanley Kramer Film Collection - includes Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (also out this week individually), Ship of Fools, The Member of the Wedding, The Wild One, and The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.  Fantastic collection, and this is the first time The Member of the Wedding has been available on DVD.
Romance & Cigarettes - HELL of a cast including James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, Kate Winslet, Steve Buscemi, Mandy Moore, Mary-Louise Parker, Aida Turturro, and Christopher Walken.  I never saw this, but the cast alone makes me want to Netflix it like, now.  
Zapped! - classic.

So...did I miss anything?  

PS: I think I'm going to abstain from launching my "check out this artist!" posts until I've gotten through the alphabet in my little project thing.  Because I really want to focus on that.  I just started the S's but there are a TON of s's.  

No comments: