Thursday, January 17, 2008

enon

So for the first time in awhile, today Pitchfork posted a story that pertains to me.  A band I like (well, love) is on tour and this time they have a Denver date!
I've already talked about this, but let me reiterate.  Enon's last album, Grass Geysers...Carbon Clouds was one of the most underrated albums of 2007.  Everybody talked about how it was so one-dimensional, how it was so straightforward and commercial, how it just wasn't weird enough.  That's not what I heard when I put it on though.  I will tell the tale once again, since I think it's important.  When I saw Enon at the Touch & Go 25th Anniversary Fest (I took that picture! yeah!), in between songs, somebody yelled "Brainiac!" and instead of being flustered/annoyed, John Schmersal said "Thank you! I would like to dedicate this next song to Tim Taylor!" To me that is huge.  It's not like anyone would want to forget his late friend and bandmate, but most musicians would get really pissed off if you were to yell their former band at them.  But not only did he take it in stride, he DEDICATED the song to his former band.  Embracing the past while moving forward.  

And then a year later we got Grass Geysers...Carbon Clouds.  The most Brainiac-sounding Enon album yet.  The spirit of Tim Taylor and Brainiac is found throughout the album.  Every song is unmistakably Enon, but they've brought the spirit of Brainiac, one of the most important bands of the 90s, into the mix.  That is why I love the new album so much.
You can go to Pitchfork to see the complete list of dates, but April 17 I plan on attending the Denver show.  And here's my favorite track off the album:

Enon - Dr. Freeze
You can buy Grass Geysers...Carbon Clouds at the Touch & Go digital store.  At 256 kbps even! Screw itunes for its crappy bitrate!  But I recommend going to your local super hip record shop and picking it up on vinyl, because it comes with a code to download the entire album for free.  Because Touch & Go loves you.

No comments: