Monday, January 28, 2008

tuesday tomorrow

i don't really like this name but it's what i'll use for now.  maybe i can just start labeling these as "tuesday" and new movie release posts as "friday."  who knows.

things are really starting to pick up, release wise.  i think this means i need to get a job so i can get it all.

NEW RELEASES "TOMORROW" 1/29/08 THAT I HAVE INTEREST IN:

Music
The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
They totally lost me with their second album.  And I've not really paid them any attention since then.  But now I'm wondering about this new one.  All the weird stories involved with this album at least intrigue me.  And I still think their first album is one of the finest I've heard.

Shelby Lynne - Just A Little Lovin
This is basically a tribute to Dusty Springfield.  I don't know if I have any interest in Shelby Lynne as a singer, but the fact that I love Dusty Springfield at least makes me wonder if I'd like this...

Willie Nelson - Moment of Forever
After his collaborations with Ryan Adams, it's kinda disappointing that now he's working with Kenny Chesney.  

Xiu Xiu - Women as Lovers
This one's tough.  But I'm sure it's great.  I've heard none of it.  But I'm sure it's fantastic.

Chris Walla - Field Manual
The main reason i care at all about this is that it was seized at the border by the US government.  It must be GOOD!  But in all honesty, it's not really my style, even though he name drops some of my favorite artists as influences.  It's kinda the same reason I never really got into Death Cab.  Too "safe" I guess for my tastes.

Helio Sequence - Keep Your Eyes Ahead
Probably pretty good.

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
It seems too easy to backlash against this band.  I remember reading stories on Pitchfork and Aversion that were all like "OMG! Vampire Weekend signed a record deal!" and "OMG! Watch for the s/t Vampire Weekend in January of 2008!!"  and they were all excited.  I decided to kind of ignore them, but then we got one of their music videos in at the place I worked at at the time.  So I finally heard them.  And now I have no idea how they got so many people so stoked on them.  The Pitchfork review of this new album talks about how it's not exactly groundbreaking, it just inexplicably stays with you and you get addicted to it.  Hmmm.  Reminds me of those really annoying pop songs, such as "My Humps" and "Don'tcha."  I kid.  But I still don't get it.  I should probably give it a chance, but I'm too poor to take that gamble (even though it'll probably be about $8 at Target).

Beck - Odelay (deluxe edition)
a full bonus disc of rarities, remixes, and a couple never-released tracks.  hell yeah.

DVDs
Building a Broken Mousetrap
of everything coming out this week, this is the one that I feel like I really, really need to get.  It's a concert film by Jem Cohen (who directed Instrument), starring The Ex.  The one time I had the opportunity of seeing The Ex live (Touch & Go 25th Anniversary fest), they were phenomenal.  One of the guitarists started bleeding from playing so hard on his super old guitar he's probably been playing for 30 years.  

The King of Kong
Seems too, too awesome.  Haven't seen it.  Should put it on the queue.

Groundhog Day - 15th Anniversary Edition
If I end up seeing this somewhere for cheap I will probably get it.  But it's gotta be for cheap.

Monty Python's Life of Brian - Immaculate Edition
Yeah.  

TV:
Curb Your Enthusiasm - Complete Sixth Season
I assume this show is great.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Vol. 5
I haven't bothered with any of these DVDs, but I do enjoy the show.


Am I missing anything?  I mean, other than Daddy Day Camp?

No comments: