Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Savages

I just saw The Savages.  But before I talk about the movie, I have to mention where I saw it.  There's a new theater in Greenwood Village, from Landmark.  It's a brand new theater, and I don't think people really know about it yet.  Mostly because I was the only person in there for my movie.  It is a bit pricey ($12 for a ticket!!) but you get free popcorn and soda, so it kind of evens out.  I almost always end up getting popcorn and soda anyway, and it usually costs me more than $12 in the end.  So there's that.

And being the only person there meant there were a bunch of bored ushers, so I was actually ushered to my theater.  And the dude opened the door for me because my hands were obviously full with popcorn and soda.

Anyway, the movie.  It stars Laura Linney (LOVED her in You Can Count On Me) and Philip Seymour Hoffman (my favorite actor).  I'll let you look at the synopsis and such if you are so inclined, but I just kind of want to spread awareness about this movie.  It's very well done.  Reminds me of those depressing Swedish movies I love so much.  There is a little bit of humor in there, but the whole time I was just kind of blankly depressed.  I wasn't bored really, just saddened by it all, which made it pretty hard to laugh at the mildly humorous bits.

The real reason I watched the movie was for Philip Seymour Hoffman.  After a draught in films starring him ever since Capote (let's just pretend MI: 3 didn't happen), he has a bunch out right now.  He is a brilliant actor as always in this film, but I was kind of surprised to see him play the character that kind of "has it together," much moreso than his sister.  Hoffman is so great at playing the character that's just falling apart, and seeing him in this light was pretty refreshing.  

Laura Linney did a great job taking the lead role in this movie, dealing with her problems with much less grace.  It was really a character driven piece, but only those two characters.  The dad, the centerpiece of the whole thing, was really more of a mcguffin to explore these two characters.  Interesting device.


this song has really nothing to do with the film, other than the title meeting the theme a little bit.  just a little bit.  i'm still new at this whole mp3 blogging thing, you see.
Black Eyes - Fathers of Daughters
buy Cough at dischord.com for only $10!

1 comment:

The Admiral said...

Sounds like Margot at the Wedding, which was very BITTERsweet.

Lemme know when you go to movies like this, I'm a sucker for good films man.

-Nate G