Thursday, January 31, 2008

i'm a pimp...and pimps don't commit suicide

Yesterday I watched one of the strangest movies I've ever seen.  Part political thriller, part cheesy sci-fi flick, but mostly? Future cult classic.

I have to believe that when he was making Southland Tales, Richard Kelly was aiming to make something cheesy.  The cast was cheesy.  Most of the dialog was cheesy.  The plot was cheesy, even though it made some smart(ish) political statements.

Make no mistake, it's a pretty bad movie.  But I LOVED it.  Every ridiculous line, every cheesy special effect, every random actor (Booger is in it; so is the guy that said "inconceivable!" in The Princess Bride), it all made it more endearing.  It is a movie I plan on getting on DVD and then watching all the time.  

I can't wait for this to play at the Midnight Movies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you i saw it the other day and was amazed. The Rock is such an underrated actor. I was also very impressed with the soundtrack too.