Thursday, January 17, 2008

movies movies movies

why are movies so expensive? there are so many movies out right now that i really want to see, but i do not have a job, and i can't go around spending $10 (plus snacks etc) for every one of these movies.  seriously.  

I've wanted to see Before The Devil Knows You're Dead ever since I found it to be sold out at the Denver Film Festival.  I've purposely avoided finding out too much about it, but the combination of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Sidney Lumet is just something I cannot resist.  It's been playing here and there around Denver, and luckily it will be here at least another week.  I just need to catch a matinee but even then it'll
 probably be $7-8.  

One movie I just HAVE to see is Southland Tales, which finally reaches Denver tomorrow.  Mostly I'm just interested in seeing what all the fuss is about.  It's a very dividing movie, from what I hear, but those are usually my favorites.  But who knows.  Maybe Richard Kelly just started to believe his own hype and thus created a super pretentious movie that just goes over the edge.  Maybe, though, in a good way.  Basically I don't know what to think of this, and that's why I have to see it.  And that's about all I have to say about that.  
For now.

Also out tomorrow in Denver (holy crap, this is a huge weekend) is Cassandra's Dream.  Woody Allen just keeps pumping them out, doesn't he?  So it looks like this one is another non-comedy, and to me that is good news.  I think at this point, he is better at those.  Just look at Match Point vs Scoop.  I was very pleased with Match Point, even though some people hated it (something to do with stiff, unnatural dialogue, etc...personally I think that adds to the fable-like situation.  It's a simple, straightforward tale).  So I have a feeling I'll like this one.  The thing with me and Woody Allen is I always at least like the experience of watching his films, even if they don't stack up to Annie Hall, Manhattan, Interiors, etc.  You make a movie every year, not all of them are going to be great.  But to me, Woody Allen is always at least good.

Oh, and Cloverfield.  That's out too.

And of course I still haven't seen tons of those big ones that everybody wants to see (Juno, There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Atonement, etc).  Why did I have to get laid off in the middle of Oscar season?  All the great movies are out NOW, and I don't have a steady income.  At least music is slow these days.  Well, I mean, there was only one album I wanted that came out this week.  I think it picks up next week.



I also would like to take this opportunity to write an open letter to Amazon:
Dear Amazon,
Thank you kindly for your Availability Alert feature.  You have just informed me that David Lynch's classic film Lost Highway is finally getting its proper widescreen release on DVD.  As many are well aware, the film hasn't had a real domestic release, and the import version was pan & scan fullscreen.  And as many are aware, this is not the way to watch a David Lynch film!  So I'd just like to again stress how happy I am that the film is going to be available on widescreen DVD on March 25, 2008.  Maybe I'll have a job by then.  But hey, that's about 2 weeks before my birthday.  So maybe somebody can get it for me!
Yours Truly,
Brandon

No comments: