Friday, January 11, 2008

OFS Unlimited

and while I'm talking about "O" artists, I have to blog about OFS Unlimited.  I don't really know anything about them, but this Christmas I got a compilation called Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label.  It seems to be #15 in the Eccentric Soul series, which seems to be just about the greatest series of compilations I've ever heard of.  Even though I only own one of the discs.

Anyway, #15, as its name implies, is about the Prix Label, a small Columbus, OH label that seems to have been as full of talent as any of the big names in soul at the time (Motown, Stax, Atlantic...).  I'm not going to claim to know what I'm talking about here though, because I really don't know my history.  All I know is what I've read on other blogs and liner notes.  So instead of trying to comprehend what this all means, I will get to the point.

OFS Unlimited was a short-lived project of the early 70s that was on the Prix Label.  And they recorded one of the funkiest songs I have ever heard.  They have two songs on this compilation, but "Mister Kidneys" is just too good not to share with the world.  I encourage you to pick up this compilation, and all of the others in the series.  I know I will be doing just that.  

Special kudos to whichever soul blog first alerted me to the existence of this series.  Sadly, I can't remember which one and I don't have time to look it up.  But I'm sure it's somewhere on that column to the right.

Here's the track:
OFS Unlimited - Mister Kidneys

No comments: