Wednesday, January 23, 2008

oscar nominations

Oscar nominations are out, and as usual, I haven't seen most of the movies.  But in some cases, this assures that they'll be in theaters for awhile now, probably even the big megaplexes.  The one good thing about those places is that matinees are actually decent prices.  I saw There Will Be Blood yesterday at one of those and it was $5.50.

You can see all the nominees here.  And my thoughts are here:

*what? no nominations for Before The Devil Knows You're Dead?  Now, I haven't seen the movie so I can't really make a good argument, but I've heard that Sidney Lumet is back in top form and I've heard that everything about it is amazing.  Whatever.  I guess it just means I better see it SOON, before it's gone from theaters because it got NO nominations.

*Is Daniel Day-Lewis not a shoe-in for actor in a lead role?  That performance was unbelievable.  Like...DeNiro in Taxi Driver unbelievable.  

*my one complaint about There Will Be Blood: Paul Dano did not look like he'd aged 20 years.  I'm sorry, but he looked like a teenage priest throughout the whole movie.

*I really need to see No Country For Old Men.

*And Charlie Wilson's War.  If that's the role that got Philip Seymour-Hoffman his nomination this year, it is one I must see.

*YAY for Laura Linney getting a nod for her role in The Savages.  She was amazing in that film.  I doubt she will win (I hope she does though!), but it's still good that she's recognized.  I'd say she got robbed in 2001 for You Can Count On Me because Julia Roberts won, but in 2001 Ellen Burstyn was the one that got robbed (for Requiem For A Dream).

*Too much Juno love.  Not that I've even seen it.  But now I feel like there's no way I will like it when I finally do.  I'm sure it's a fine, fine picture, and the cast is awesome, but it's like the new Garden State.  Which I do like, but that was before I got so jaded about over hyped movies.  

*I hope Cate Blanchett wins Actress in a Supporting Role for I'm Not There, and not just because that's the only movie listed that I've seen, but because she was my favorite part about that movie.  Well, that and David Cross, of course (where's his nomination?!)

*How come the site lists lead actor first, then supporting actor, and THEN lead actress?  I call BS.

*I hope Persepolis gets best animated feature.  An artsy film is totally "due" to win that category again.  Only once before has that happened.  Usually it's a disney/pixar/etc movie that wins that category, and I guess Ratatouille will win this.  But to be fair, I haven't seen any of the nominations.  Maybe Ratatouille is legitimately a better film.  

*I think it's about time Paul Thomas Anderson won best director.  Not that that category means anything (Kubrick never won it, neither did Hitchcock, Robert Altman only ever got an honorary award), but I consider PTA the greatest "new" director we have (meaning not counting the old people that are still alive and have built great big bodies of work).  

*If Norbit wins an oscar, even for best makeup, I will be upset.

*I wish Jonny Greenwood was eligible to win for best score.  He really brought the already amazing There Will Be Blood to even greater heights.

If anybody reads this I'd like to see some comments!

3 comments:

The Admiral said...

I read it and I agree on all counts.

Juno is totally the Garden State of our time, but still really fucking good.

No Country is a must see. Then read the book (it's quick).

I've recently elevated TWBB to the best movie I've ever seen. There's something exciting in thinking that, just maybe, the greatest movie ever made was put out while we were alive.

The Greenwood exemption is sorta bullshit in my opinion too.

Quiet Brandon said...

thanks for the comment!

i thought garden state was the garden state of our time :)

i don't think i can quite grant TWBB that status, but i'm really starting to think that PTA can do no wrong, and may make the greatest film of our time. or else this will have been his peak.

although i do feel that since it's an evolving medium, the greatest film SHOULD be made recently. filmmakers should be learning from the past and incorporating all that is good from citizen kane, a clockwork orange, the godfather, annie hall, all the great movies of the past, and going beyond that. taking a step up from the foundation of our forefathers.

it's like how i certainly hope some of the great albums of these days HAVE to be better than sgt pepper. because we've had 40 years to grow from that landmark.

The Admiral said...

Yes, I was fighting TWBB on over crediting it, but as per your 'building upon the foundations' hypothesis, it stands shoulder to shoulder with the best movies of all time at the very least. Music seems harder to peg, but I'm still waiting for my Sgt Pepper/Revolver/Rubber Soul's to come out...In some aspects I agree but in others, we still have far to go. I'm rambling.